Thursday, January 24, 2013

Editing my book

So, I've finished my book, the first very rough draft, that is. I thought it was time to celebrate, it is a major accomplishment after all. And more importantly start the query process. But I've learned it's not time to start the query process. I guess I read somewhere something along the lines of "great you finished your book, time to start querying." But I guess it meant completely finished. Now I have put querying on hold, and picked up the book to edit it. Man is it a lot. Almost overwhelming. I can do it though, God help me.

For the first chapter I marked 94 edits of some sort. Today I added about 30 more. I haven't decided if I am going to look at it right away after I make those changes or come back to it later once I am deeper into the book but I know that this is not the last round. I just read a great book that said you should only start querying once you are completely done editing the book, his example was the 40th draft. I doubt I'll get to forty but I will say this. I a much more capable editor now than I was 3 months ago, and I was much better then, than I was a year ago. I am very proud of how far I have come along in my ability to edit and honestly a year ago I would not have thought I would be able to be where I am now ever. What is even more encouraging is that I see myself not only capable of further improvement but I have no doubt that I will keep improving.

No comments:

Post a Comment